Menu
HISTORICAL TIMELINE
 
500-800 AD    Earliest evidence of human settlements in Dalaguete. 
1157………….   (Feb 10) Death of Guillermo El Hermitanio at Maleval, France (Maleval literally means, Bad Valley)
1202………….   Guillermo El Hermitanio was canonized as a saint by Pope Innocent III. 
1599………….   (May 23) The vicarage of Siaro or Sialo (now Carcar) was established part of which is a visita called Dalaguete
1647………….   (June 25) Dalaguete was placed into the encomienda system, with Francisco de Atienza Ibanez as encomendero
1711………….   Dalaguete was established as a town with a parish dedicated to San Guillermo.
1732………….   A census of Dalaguete reported a population of 2,327 souls.
1778………….   The baluarte in the poblacion was built. Inscribed on one of its wall is this cartouche “Ano de la Cota 1778.”
1798………….   Fray Manuel Cordero was installed as the 1st parish priest of San Guillermo Parish.
1799………….   Fray Domingo Hemojal was installed as the 2nd parish priest of San Guillermo Parish.    
1800………….   The encomienda system was abolished.
1800’s……….   Sugar is produced in Dalaguete in the latter part of the 1800s.
1802………….   Fray Juan Chacel was installed as 3rd parish priest of San Guillermo Parish.
1816………….   Fray Chacel started the building of the church dedicated to San Guillermo Duque de Aquitania.
1816………….   Fray Juan Crysostomo was installed as 4th parish priest of San Guillermo Parish.
1818………….   In a rare comeback, Fray Juan Chacel was re-installed and became the 5th parish priest of San Guillermo Parish.
1825………….   Fray Julian Bermejo was installed as the 6th parish priest of San Guillermo Parish.
1829………….   Fray Bernardo Giganto was installed as the 7th parish priest of San Guillermo Parish.
1832………….   The San Guillermo Parish convent was completed.
1833………….   Fray Lucas de Soledad was installed as the 8th parish priest of San Guillermo Parish.
1834………….   (January 18) The boundaries of Dalaguete are legitimately delineated.
1834………….   Fray Manuel Gallo was installed as the 9th parish priest of San Guillermo Parish.   
1837………….   Fray Pedro Hernandez was installed as the 10th parish priest of San Guillermo Parish.
1839………….   Fray Juan Alonzo was installed as the 11th parish priest of San Guillermo Parish.    
1846………….   The stone bridge in Sumbrea, Cawayan was constructed.
1851………….   Buzeta and Bravo reported 1,453 modest houses, a rectory, a government house, a prison and a primary school.
1854………….   The 33-meter San Guillermo Parish bell tower was erected.
1860………….   Fray Leon Mendoza was installed as the 12th parish priest of San Guillermo Parish.
1860………….   The chancel, the elevated portion of the altar area of the San Guillermo Parish, was covered with marble.
1861………….   Fray Juan Alonzo was re-installed and became the 13th parish priest of San Guillermo Parish.
1868………….   Fray Mariano Braza was installed as the 14th parish priest of San Guillermo Parish.
1869………….   Fray Mateo Diez was installed as the 15th parish priest of San Guillermo Parish.
1871………….   Death of Torcuato Selerio popularly known as Kapitan Tatong.
1889………….   Fray Urbano Alvarez was installed as the 16th parish priest of San Guillermo Parish.
1890………….   Fray Alvarez “discovered” and had begun to open a road leading to Mantalongon.
1893………….   On May 19, Queen Regent Maria Cristina implemented the Municipal Reform Decree known as the Maura Law.
1894………….   The road opening started by Fr. Alvarez stops at the Paling-paling area.
1895………….   Fray Mateo Diez was re-installed as the 17th parish priest and the last Augustinian friar of San Guillermo Parish.
1896………….   The Spanish conducted the last census before the revolution. It reported 20,673 souls for Dalaguete.
1896………….   The Congregacion Marianas, now the Cofradia de la Virgen de Consolacion was established.
1897………….   (Aug 13) Birth in Cawayan of Casiano Selerio Carin, the first lawyer of Dalaguete.  
1898………….   (April 3) Cebuanos launch the historic Tres de Abril that ushers in the revolution in Cebu.
1898………….   (April 6) Crispulo “Poloy” Carin of Cawayan went home and claimed that Leon Kilat had appointed him General.
1898………….   (June 12) Declaration of Philippine Independence.
1898………….   (Nov. 9) Rev. Fr. Ruperto Sarmiento became the 1st Filipino and the 18th parish priest of San Guillermo Parish.
1900s………….  The pamarungoy fishing method was introduced by Dalaguetnon fisherman Victor Entia.
1901………….   (Feb 9) Gen Nicolas Godinez and his men, part of the anti-American resistance in Cebu, arrived in Dalaguete.
1904………….   (July 30) A new sacristy was constructed while a silver frontal for the main altar is acquired on February 2, 1905.
1914………….   The Obando Type market building of Dalaguete was constructed and completed.
1915………….   The Dalaguete Bridge was constructed across Tapon River at kilometer 84 of Cebu South Road.
1918………….   The population of Dalaguete was recorded at 26,904.
1920s…………. The road construction from Paling-paling to Mantalongon was started by Padre Ruperto Sarmiento.
1925………….   Re-establishment of the Escuela Catolica through the initiative of Fr. Ruperto Sarmiento.
1933………….   Hijas de Caridad started management of Escuela Catolica, by then renamed as the Annunciation Institute.
1926………….   Casay Primary School was established.
1935………….   Canuto Avila was commissioned to paint the San Guillermo Parish ceiling.
1938………….   The road to Mantalongon was finished.
1942………….   (April 10) the Japanese landed in Talisay and other parts of the island.
1943………….   (Aug 24) The first evacuation in Dalaguete after the fall of the guerilla and USAFFE forces based in Dumanjug.
1943………….   (Aug 27) 1000 soldiers of the Imperial Japanese Army entered Dalaguete.
1945………….   (July 4) Gen. McArthur proclaimed that the Philippines are liberated from the Japanese.
1946………….   (July 21) Mo. Paulina Gallardo and the RVM congregation took over the management of Annunciation Institute.
1947………….   Annunciation Institute was renamed Annunciation College, catering to BS Education courses. 
1947………….   Rev. Fr. Zacarias Suñer was installed as the 19th parish priest of San Guillermo Parish.
1947………….   Dalaguete Provincial High School (DPHS) was established with Simeon Bajarias, Sr. as the first school principal.
1948………….   Rev. Fr. Esteban Montecillo was installed as the 20th parish priest of San Guillermo Parish.
1950s………….  Dalaguete gains attention for vegetable production.
1951………….   The town was visited by the typhoon Amy. Mt. Hibok-hibok in Camiguin erupts.
1952………….   (April 12) Archbishop Julio Cardinal R. Rosales, the Archbishop of Cebu, creating the Sta. Monica Parish.
1952………….   Rev. Fr. Celso Villamor was installed as the 1st parish priest of Sta. Monica Parish.
1952………….   Rev. Fr. Pedro Montebon was installed as the 21st parish priest of San Guillermo Parish. 
1952………….   Dalaguete was adjudged as the Cleanest Municipality among the 52 other municipalities in Cebu.
1953………….   Rev. Fr. Jose Alojipan was installed as the 22nd parish priest of San Guillermo Parish.
1958………….   (February 4) The San Isidro Labrador Parish was established.
1958………….   Rev. Fr. Ricardo Limotlimot was installed as the 2nd parish priest of Sta. Monica Parish.
1958………….   Rev. Fr. Demetrio Gonzales was installed as the 23rd parish priest of San Guillermo Parish. 
1964………….   Annunciation Institute was renamed Annunciation Academy.
1966………….   Rev. Fr. Roman Jamili was installed as the 24th parish priest of San Guillermo Parish.
1969………….   Rev. Fr. Sindulfo Iriarte was installed as the 3rd parish priest of Sta. Monica Parish.
1972………….   (Sept 21) Pres. Ferdinand Marcos issued Proclamation No. 1081 placing the entire archipelago under Martial Law.
1976………….   Rev. Tomas Villamor was installed as the 25th parish priest of San Guillermo Parish.
1979………….   Rev. Fr. Joseph Torres was installed as the 4th parish priest of Sta. Monica Parish.
1981………….   Rev. Fr. Cayetano Gelbolingo was installed as the 26th parish priest of San Guillermo Parish.
1987………….   Rev. Fr. Vincent Dayao was installed as the 5th parish priest of Sta. Monica Parish.
1988………….   Rev. Fr. Vincent Dayao was installed as the 27th parish priest of San Guillermo Parish.
1988………….   Rev. Fr. Charito Suan was installed as the 6th parish priest of Sta. Monica Parish.
1993………….   Rev. Fr. Elmer Colina was installed as the 7th parish priest of Sta. Monica Parish.
1994………….   Rev. Fr. Antonio Quintana was installed as the 28th parish priest of San Guillermo Parish.
2000………….   Rev. Fr. Scipio Deligero was installed as the 8th parish priest of Sta. Monica Parish.
2001………….   Rev. Fr. Maximino Villamor was installed as the 29th parish priest of San Guillermo Parish. 
2001………….  (January 23) Dugyan Dairy Project commenced.
2001………….   (October 15) Annunciation Academy was renamed St. Mary's Academy of Dalaguete. 
2001………….   (November 14) Dalaguete Solid Waste Management Program was launched.
2002………….  (June 6) Dalaguete STAR Center was inaugurated.
2003………….   Rev. Fr. Benjamin Cortes was installed as the ninth parish priest of Sta. Monica Parish.
2003………….   (October 8) Construction of Dalaguete Commercial Center started. It was eventually inaugurated on 2005.
2006………….   (Mar 28) MOA was signed between Dalaguete and DENR to develop Mag-alambak Garden into a highland resort.
2006………….   Mayor Ronald Allan Cesante was a recipient of the national government's 2006 Local Govt Leadership Awards.
2007………….   Dalaguete registered a population of 61,405.
2008………….   Msgr. Phil Tumulak was installed as the 30th parish priest of San Guillermo Parish.
2008………….   (February)The Utanon Festival debuted.
2008………….   (July 29) Dalaguete attains 1st Class Municipality status.
2009………….   Rev. Fr. William Ybañez was installed as the tenth parish priest of Sta. Monica Parish.

2010………….   Museo sa Dalaguete: Museum of History and Culture is inaugurated.

Go to top