Menu

Crispin Almagro Ancestral House (Guani Residence)
Poblacion - Constructed sometime during the late 1890s, this must have been the first house of Don Crispin Almagro before he built the ancestral Almagro house across the street. The silong (lower floor) use to house the first bakery of the municipality called Chancaw during the American period. During World War II, it was one of two houses used as school for the local children since the town school was converted into a garrison/headquarters for the Japanese Imperial army. One of the lessons taught was Japanese language. At present, the house still retains its panel walls and continuous sliding panel windows.

Alejandro Legaspi House
Poblacion - Built in 1912, the house has a square plan, Dutch-hip nipa roof and clapboard walls. The simple facade is accented with the double sliding capiz windows with wooden spindle ventanillas.

Jesus Lozada House (Daniel Santos Residence)
Poblacion - The house was constructed in 1913. The first owner, Jesus Lozada was a member of the Confradia dela Virgen Consolacion. This is one of the residences in town that played host to the groups’ annual kumbira. During the World War II, it has been said that for a short period of time, this house was one of two houses used as school for the children in which Japanese language was one of the lessons taught. It also became a quarter for the Japanese Imperial troops.

Ignacio Buenconsejo House
Poblacion - Built in 1915, this was the house of Ignacio Buenconsejo, the fiscal of Fr. Ruperto Sarmiento. He used to assist Fr. Pentong in all of his activities. According to Jovencia Buenconsejo, current owner, Mariano Cuenco used to stay in the house during vacation. Architectural features of the house include sliding wood panel windows with highly ornate ventanilla design. Its tugas stairway is still in good condition.

Pantaleon Bajarias House
Poblacion - Pantaleon Bajarias Sr. constructed the house in 1916. The ground floor was used for commercial functions. In 1947, Felisa, the daughter of the owner accepted boarders mostly coming from Boljoon and Oslob who went to the Dalaguete Provincial High School. The facade of the house has a symmetrical design with sliding panel windows and ornate wrought iron ventanillas. There are slender but hollow wooden pilasters with ornate design at the cornice. The panels above the window transom reflects the original green color of the house of which faded floral designs are still visible. The interior ceiling of the house also reflects painted floral designs. Interior partitions are latticed and all doors have carved doorframes and fretwork design above the door transom. Walls on both side of the main entrance also have hand-painted figures. The house has an exterior concrete stairway which was added in 1922. The date of which is inscribed on the stair’s base.

Pedro Dueñas House (Judith Tumabiene’s Residence)
Poblacion - This was built in 1917. Pedro Dueñas and his wife Epifania, were members of the Confradia dela Virgen Consolacion and the house was among those that host the yearly kumbira of the organization. This activity was said to be the reason why the old house used to have a movable wall partition between the sala and the bedroom so the area can be extended when there is a kumbira. The ground floor was a commercial space rented by Chinese merchants. During the World War II, the house was used as a quarter for the officers of the Japanese Imperial army. According to Invicto Alcantara, a municipal historian, when the Liberation came to the silong was also used ad a headquarter for the guerilla and Filipino soldiers.

Osorio-Dueñas House
Poblacion - This was the house of Leonisa “Leoning” Osorio and Zosimo Dueñas, which was built in 1917. They were part of the Confradia dela Virgen Consolacion group. Local residents also believe that officers of the Japanese Imperial Army used to stay in the house during the World War II. In 1947, the Lee Tung Bakery occupied the silong of the house. At present, this rectangular house still retains its sliding panel windows and panel ventanilla shutters. The porch entrance has a highly ornate callado design.
Pepito Rivera House
Poblacion - This 1917 residence has tugas posts encased in square boxes to have uniform appearance. The floor is made of combined tugas and bayong floor panels. There are decorative carvings on top of the double sliding panel door. A distinctive characteristic of the house is the highly ornate ventanillas and the window plant box with grooved design and ornately bracket support.
Urbano Centino House
Poblacion - Built in the 1920s, the house still retains its original slender and rounded tugas roof frames. It has sliding capiz windows, wooden spindle ventanillas and double folding panel doors.

Victoriano Osorio House
Poblacion - Built sometime in the 1920s, this was the house of Rosario Buenconsejo and Victoriano Osorio, who was the Chief of Police of the Japanese Constabulary during World War II. The house still retains its clapboard walls and double sliding glass panel windows. Originally, ventanillas were part of the original design of the windows but has been replaced with v-cut sidings. There is a wood stiffener bracket that supports the porch roofing.

Justino Osorio House
Poblacion - Built in 1921, the ground floor of this residence was used as a commercial space. The owners were part of the Confradia dela Virgen Consolacion. It is said that they used to accommodate visiting local supervisors and principals of the Dalaguete Central School. Julieta Osorio, the daughter of Justino and the present owner of the house, can still recall that a certain Mr. Klein, an American superintendent for the school used to take his lunch in this house.
Cipriano Legaspi House
Poblacion - This rectangular house with hip roof was built in the 1920s. It is made of clapboard walls, wooden panel sliding windows and wooden ventanillas. The tugas posts are intact. The banggera rests on stone ruble.
Emmanuel Selerio House
Lalin, Poblacion - This two-level residence was built in the late 1920s but was incrementally added on over the years. It was one of the houses in town that sponsor the activities of the Confradia dela Virgen Consolacion since Emmanuel Selerio was a member of the group. It became the “hangout” of the Japanese Imperial army officers during the World War II since there was a piano in the house. One officer would play the piano and the rest would sing along. The piano is said to be still functioning up to this day.
Urbano Centino House
Poblacion - Built in the 1920s, the house still retains its original slender and rounded tugas roof frames. It has sliding capiz windows, wooden spindle ventanillas and double folding panel doors.

Pablo Buenconsejo House
Poblacion - This house was built in the late 1920s by Pablo Buenconsejo and his wife Esperediona Catalan. They were members of the Confradia dela Virgen Consolacion group. The original rectangular house remains intact. It has wide clapboard walls that is painted in white, which contrast to the brown double sliding capiz windows with spindle wooden ventanillas. Ornamental fretwork bordered with brown bands run the entire length of the roof eaves soffit. The three segmented arches on the façade was added in the 1980s.

Fidel Buenconsejo House
Poblacion - For this 1929 house, descendants of the owner of the house relate that it once was a food supply depot of the guerillas in 1946 during the Liberation period. The original roof was made of nipa but has long since been replaced by G.I. sheets. The clapboard exterior walls, double sliding capiz windows, and the floor panels and posts are still intact as well as the solid tugas staircase located on the back portion of the house.
Conrado Tan House
Poblacion - This late 1930s residence is said to be a quarter for the Japanese Imperial troops during World War II. The house is considered to be one of the residence that used to sponsor the kumbira of the Confradia dela Virgen Consolacion group. Renovated in the 1950s, the house features wide vertical fixed shutters located on the left portion of the house. The windows are double sliding made of capiz.

Salvador Bajarias House (Paz Wong’s House)
Poblacion
- The house is said to have been built in 1933. Originally, only the upper floor was used as a residential area and the walls were unpainted. Local residents can still recall that the silong was an open space and that it was used as a church for the Seventh Day Adventist in 1946 using tulda as temporary walls for the first two months every Saturday during congregation.

Paterno Belciña House
Poblacion - Built in 1940, the house used to have a twin structure owned by Emeliana Hernaiz, wherein both houses shared a common main stairway between them. The ground floor of the house was used commercially. During the World War II, the store remained open selling mostly rice. One squad of Japanese soldiers briefly stayed in the house together with the family. At present, the house has undergone several renovations but still retains its American era characteristics of truncated roof design, sliding glass panel windows, and wooden ventanillas.

Cecilio de Castilla House
Poblacion - This one-level elevated house constructed in 1941 has a gable roof, wide clapboard walls, and capiz sliding windows with a plant box having geometric ornamentation. The porch has geometric latticework on the entrance.
Vicente and Cristina Salvador House
Poblacion - This abandoned house is believed to have been built in the 1940s. Although the house has undergone extensions over the years, it still has the characteristics similar to other houses in its time such as sliding windows with glass panels, geometrical ventanilla design and Dutch-hip roofing.
Crispin Almagro Ancestral House
Lalin, Poblacion - The house, believed to be built in the late 1940s is owned by Crispin Almagro, a relative of the notable town philanthropist of the same name. The tugas post are still intact along with the sliding windows and wooden ventanillas.
Macario Carungay House
Poblacion - This Post Independence house was built in 1951, the house has Dutch-hip roofing and casement glass panel windows. The house has clapboard exterior walls and the interior partitions have geometric latticework designs reminiscent of the era.
Pricilla Mamac House
Poblacion - This 1950s house has diamond shaped roof vents, double sliding glass panel windows with fixed louvers on top, and geometric latticework on the entrance porch. The design and layout of the house is typical of the era.
Tirso Osorio House
Poblacion - Built in 1952, this two-storey house has a rounded corner façade, the only one having such characteristics in the Poblacion area. The casement windows are painted bright red and have glass panels. At present, dental clinic is housed on the ground floor. The owner, Conrado Tan was said to have been part of the original group that comprise the Confradia dela Virgen Consolacion.
Felisa Bajarias House
Poblacion - Built in 1952, the house has an angular arched entrance way. A distinctive characteristic of the house is a mirador with glass panels running its entire vertical length. There is also a pointed metal rod at the apex of the mirador roof. This is the only house in the poblacion having this type of Post Independence architectural design.
 
White House
Mantalongon - Estimated to be constructed around 1961-1963, the architecture is American inspired and unique compared to other buildings in the barangay. The owner used to be Conrada Almagro.
Go to top